Origami Customs is committed to being an ethical clothing brand!
From our ethical production to our community programs to our materials, we strive to be an ethical fashion brand in every way.
All of our custom lingerie, gender-affirming clothing, and custom swimwear are ethically handmade locally by our small and well-paid team. Our skilled sewers handmake each piece of custom clothing out of a private studio in Montreal, Canada on unceded Tio'tia:ke land. But our commitment to ethics doesn’t stop there!
We are committed to the environment by using only eco-friendly fabrics.
We carefully choose ethically sourced fabric from recycled materials, deadstock, and regenerative bamboo or modal. We only use high-quality materials that last, and whenever possible we buy from small, family-owned businesses.
Bamboo and Modal
We use bamboo in our custom lingerie because it is a sustainable and eco-friendly material. Why we love bamboo for custom underwear:
- Bamboo is grown without using pesticides or chemical fertilizers.
- Bamboo fiber is 100% biodegradable
- It requires a minimal amount of water used to grow and has extremely fast regeneration.
- Bamboo is thermal regulating, anti-fungal, anti-static and will keep you cooler, drier, warmer, and odor free. It wicks away moisture naturally, making it the perfect underwear layer.
- It has less shrinkage than cotton and does not pill, making it last longer. It is also softer than the softest cotton and feels similar to silk.
Recycled Fabrics and Deadstock
We use recycled polyesters and deadstock in our custom swimwear and binders. Why we love recycled and deadstock for custom clothing:
- Recycled fabrics are made from a waste material that has been processed to have a second life in the form of eco-friendly fabric.
- Recycled fabrics have almost the same quality as virgin fabrics while using 59 percent less energy compared to virgin lycra.
- Recycled fabrics prevent additional textile and resource waste.
- Deadstock is a fabric that hasn’t been able to sell, and so is destined for the landfill.
- Deadstock allows us to reduce our environmental impact by using industry "waste" and not creating any new materials.
We use deadstock and recycled fabric whenever possible
Bamboo is an eco-friendly alternative to cotton
We are transitioning to a mesh milled in the USA to reduce transport emissions
We source this from deadstock